Google Search

Custom Search

Monday, June 30, 2008

Star Drift Round 2 - Hard Work

Well the event came and gone and it felt like a few more days would have been fun. It was a tiring event as I was driving so much and fun with playing with the lines and playing with the in cab Kung fu doing everything in one go with much excitement going on as oppose to the norm.

Sat was pretty hot day. It was smoky though and fun to drift as well as the speeds were fast and once again, there is a fast transition was included. Although the Sat was not as packed as tyres were worn pretty fast with the speed and hot day combine thus conserving tyres to ensure we end up with enough to run the competition on Sunday was going to be important if it turned out just as hot.



Yoong, unfortunately have a blown turbo after going out for about 3 laps. Luckily a new turbo was available at Drift House AKA Joe Han AKA Donut Dweeb. Thus Yoong did the deed of driving back to KL to get it and returned to Melaka. He and Joe Han were hard at work replacing the turbo in a couple of hard labour in the scorching heat. Lucky we hard the canopy as well.

I, on the other hand was really enjoying the track layout. The car perform well without any hick up even with the oil temp hitting 120 degrees most of the time. Time to think of what engine oil that can hold up to sustain high temp and not self destruct the engine after prolong use. Maybe need to plan for oil changes next time to just make sure the engine is always fresh.

Sunday, was eventful, Wanting to just make sure I get into Top16 qualifying. No longer can play around and do my normal show driving as I know I am going to get shot if I do it again. First run was ok as I felt like I was not fast enough as it felt like I almost lost the tail but it did not. So it was good. Second run was good and clean thus give it all it got for third run which was up to the clipping point. Did not managed to hit it though. but din plan to do it as I did wan to wash off too much speed just to hit the clipping point. Keep it clean and get into Top 16 was my plan. turn out well as I qualified 6th placing

Yoong, did even better, he qualified in 3rd position. Although, he is in a standard car with a standard Rb20, which no one seems believes. Guess he can push it to the max and get it to go well and the ability of the Dunlop Direzza Dz 101 to grip and smoke it up, really give a great chance to perform well.



This time round we were practising with 245/45/17 and ran 255/45/17 for the competition. Great opportunity for us to test different sizes and what it will do and also run different tyre pressures to test grip levels and drift angle we can hold. Found out even if we run till the tyres were almost slicks, we were still able to get good grip to run till the tyres were on nylon before we had to change. Did not feel it over heated either which was great too to run more laps. If only the oil could cold down faster or not heat up as much. do wonder what engine oil to try to get the job done.

It did seemed an interesting Tandem battle. Seems the tyre brand were almost competition each other. Even Team Dunlop drivers, Yoong and myself had to meet each other in Top 8 if we win our TOP 16 battles which we did.



Since Yoong was 3rd qualifier it was only natural he needed the win to ensure he stay in the top running for the championship as well as trying to secure a podium finish. I tried experimenting with following as close as possible but ended up straighting up as I got too close and did not want to come near hitting my own team mate's car. Second run decided to make as much smoke since I would have not won the first run obviously. But ended got on the throttle to early due to my enthusiasm. Had a glance and saw Yoong pretty close so I decided to just head straight thru the tyres to give him more room. Gave him a shocked though. And not to mention the three photographers too who were wondering where I am going. Saw the facing expression of total surprise which were priceless. And no, I was not close to hitting them just enough to scare them. Sorry guys had to tell the story. Still can't help to see your faces.

After a long and fast 2 day my manifold gave up and is now leaking like a snake hissing on full throttle. Need to get it repaired soon. At least it hold up for the great two days. And both cars needs new number plates again.

Yoong progress to Top 4 but lost his battle. I think his 1st gear stuck in place and was stuck for a few second before he could engaged into 2nd gear.

Due to Djan losing his battle he was relegated to 3rd position, which now puts Yoong in 4th placing. I was like damn all the planning gone to waste. Oh well that how it goes with motor sports I guess , the smallest mistake changes a lot.

Yoong now is 4th place in the championship which he is still in the running for top placing still.

The nest round is planned to be in Bukit Jalil now to coincide with Merdeka celebrations.

The Date is set on 28-31 August. Yes you are reading it right. Star Drift is going to be four days long this time. First ever. Time to prepare early to get the car ready again.

Hope to see everybody there again and watch the action. Crossing my finger the bump can be avoided this time round. I really hate those bump and jumps. And does not help to know Yoong's corner is always there with open arms.

Photos to come of course by Yoong soon.

Photo's taken by Schoolgirl/Siew Kin aka MrN wife as usual. Our official photographer and videographer.

No comments: